Livingstone College

Shaw Downs Blue Bears 45-21

Raleigh, NC- The Livingstone College football team suffered a 45-21 loss to the Shaw University Bears in Raleigh, NC.

Livingstone opened up the contest against the Bears with Avery Collins catching a 12 yard reception through a defender’s hands for a touchdown. Leonardo Manzo’s extra point attempt was good for the lead at 7-3. The Blue Bears defense was present in the first quarter and made a huge stop against Shaw, the Shaw Bears answered with a made 27 yard field goal. Shaw’s defense also made their presence known on the field and caused the Blue Bears to turn the ball over. Shaw continued its pressure and scored a 12 yard touchdown for the lead at 10-7 at the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Blue Bears defense played consistent in keeping the Shaw Bears out of the red zone. However, it wasn’t until the last 12 seconds of the half where the Shaw Bears scored another touchdown to increase their lead to 17-7.

To open the third quarter, the Shaw Bears offense scored a quick, 50 yard touchdown, in one play, after their huge gain off of the kickoff. Unable to convert a third down, the Blue Bears were forced to punt.

With the game momentum working in the Shaw Bears favor, they pushed their way down field for another touchdown from the Livingstone one yard line. The extra point was good and the Shaw Bears increased the lead to 31-7.

The Blue Bears returned with Powell’s 36 yard pass to Jalen Hendricks. Manzo’s PAT was good. The Blue Bears trailed 31-14. The Blue Bears put their two minute drill into effect in attempt to score before the end of the third quarter. Anthony Holland made a great catch for a huge first down. Powell followed with a quarterback keep for another first down. The Shaw Bears sacked Powell for an 11 yard loss while also forcing the Blue Bears to punt.

The Blue Bears started the fourth quarter with a punt. Livingstone’s defense did a good job of keeping the Shaw Bears in the backfield and forcing them to punt. The punt was tipped and placed the Blue Bears within the red zone. Powell connected to Holland for a touchdown. The PAT was good and the Blue Bears trailed 31-21. Unshaken by the Blue Bears touchdown, the Shaw Bears answered with yet another touchdown, 38-21. Livingstone made their way down field, but Powell’s pass was intercepted for the second time of the game. The Shaw Bears called a quick timeout and after the huddle, scored another touchdown. Shaw remained in the lead 45-21 with less than six minutes in the game.

The Shaw Bears held the Blue Bears scoreless in the fourth quarter. The loss drops the Blue Bears to 2-5 overall.

Livingstone will return to action on Saturday, October 26 as they host Winston-Salem State University, the defending CIAA Champions. Kickoff is slated for 1:00 p.m.

Subscribe to the new Livingstone College e-Newsletter today

Subscribe Today