Federal Direct Loan Entrance
Counseling Session on the Web
For new loan borrowers
1. Go to the Federal Student Aid web site at studentloans.gov
2. Click “Sign In” located in the “Managing My Direct Loan” box.
The following information is needed to Sign In:
Social Security Number (Ex. 123-45-6789);
The First Two Letters of your Last Name (Ex. Al);
Your Date of Birth (Ex. 03/01/2010)
Your PIN Number that was used to sign the FAFSA (Ex. 7777).
3. Select Complete Entrance Counseling.”
4. There are Four (4) Steps to completing the Entrance Counseling Session.
The 1st step is the “Counseling Type” section;
The 2nd step is the “Guidelines”;
The 3rd step is your “School Information”; and
The 4th step is the actual “Counseling Session/Quiz.”
5. After you have completed the Entrance Counseling Session, you will then need to submit your quiz. Upon submitting your quiz you will be directed to a page that states “Congratulations! You have successfully completed Entrance Counseling for Direct Loan Sub/Unsub/Perkins Loan Type.” This screen has your identifying information; you can either view and download your completed Counseling Verification Page, submit a Master Promissory Note or Print your Entrance Counseling Session. It is recommended that you print a copy for your record.
6. Your Entrance Counseling requirement have now been fulfilled.
After you have successfully completed the entrance counseling quiz, your information will be forwarded to the office of Financial Aid within 24-48 hours.
NOTE: YOUR LOAN WILL NOT BE CREDITED TO YOUR ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU HAVE (1) A COMPLETED ENTRANCE COUNSELING SESSION, (2) SIGNED YOUR MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE ONLINE (AND (4) HAVE BEEN ENROLLED AT THE COLLEGE FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS FROM THE 1ST DAY OF CLASS.