Applying for Financial Aid
While the academic record of a student is important for admission, to the college, and for certain scholarships, most financial aid is awarded primarily on the basis of financial need. Financial need is determined by comparing the amount a student and their family can provide toward their college education with the actual cost of attending Livingstone College. The purpose of financial aid is to award students within the guidelines of federal, state, and institutional aid programs.
Tuition and fees are due and payable as a part of the student’s registration. The need for financial assistance should be anticipated and all arrangements for aid should be made with the Office of Financial Aid prior to registration.
Please follow the steps listed below to apply for financial assistance at Livingstone College:
1. Apply for admission to Livingstone College by completing the Admission application online and forward requested credentials to the Office of Admissions.
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. It is important that you fully complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. Please be sure to indicate that you would like to attend Livingstone College by including the Title IV School Code: 002942 on the FAFSA.
3. While filling out the FAFSA, you are encouraged to provide your consent to allow the IRS to populate the applicable income fields on the FAFSA with data from your federal tax return. If you chose not to participate in this process, you will be required to obtain a Federal Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and send a signed copy to our office.
4. Complete all other required financial aid forms and return them to Livingstone College Office of Financial Aid.
5. When the Office of Financial Aid receives your Student Aid Report, we will then process your award(s), mail your award letter, and submit all award information via https://campusweb.livingstone.edu/ics.
6. We will also notify you in writing of any additional changes made to your financial aid award package.
Link to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form
Verification is a process in which a FAFSA is selected for review by the Department of Education or the Office of Financial Aid at South Carolina State University. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, the Office of Financial Aid will notify you and request signed copies of yours and your parent(s) Federal Tax Return Transcripts or with W-2 forms or with other financial documents and compare information from your FAFSA with the submitted documents.
If there are differences between your FAFSA and your actual financial documents, Livingstone College Office of Financial Aid may need to make corrections electronically. You will be required to submit the following documents to the Office of Financial Aid AS REQUESTED:
1. A signed copy of your Federal Income Tax Return Transcript (and your spouse’s, if applicable) if you chose not to use the IRS import option to populate the income section of your FAFSA or complete and submit a 4506-T form.
2. A signed copy of your parent’s Federal Tax Return Transcript (if applicable) if they chose not to use the IRS import option to populate the income section of your FAFSA or complete and submit a 4506-T form..
3. Verification Worksheets are available in the following locations:
a. Office of Financial Aid’s Website, at the Forms Link.
b. Within the Office of Financial Aid (Price Building, Suite 108)