Livingstone College

Blue Bears Gain First Victory over Edward Waters

By: Bianca Warren
Sports Information Director

Jacksonville, FL- The Livingstone College football team defeats the Edward Waters College Tigers 23-20 in Jacksonville, FL on Saturday.

Both teams got off to a slow start. Unable to score a touchdown in the first quarter, Livingstone was the first to put points on the scoreboard after Leonardo Manzo made a 28 yard field goal. Edward Waters made their way down the field and ran in for a touchdown, but the call was reversed after a penalty was called.

Justin Edwards played great coverage on the next play to block a potential touchdown pass, forcing the Tigers to tie the game 3-3 on a 27 yard field goal attempt. Unable to get in field goal range after being pushed back because of two penalties, the Blue Bears ended the first quarter with a punt.

The Blue Bears defense came out the huddle to begin the second quarter fired up. Livingstone forced Edward Waters to fumble. Andrew Fox recovered the ball for a 23 yard return, giving the Blue Bears a first and goal position.

Drew Powell’s hand off to Anthony Green gave the Blue Bears a short run into the end zone for a touchdown. Manzo’s PAT was good and the Blue Bears increased the score 10-3.

The Tigers answered back with five plays and 52 yards down the field for a touchdown. The extra point was good and Edward Waters tied the game 10-10. After Edward Waters kicked the ball off, the Tigers forced a fumble in which they recovered.

Unable to convert, the Blue Bears gained possession. The Tigers’ defense forced the Blue Bears to punt the ball. Kristopher Hemphill faked the punt to linebacker Kenneth White for the first down. On the very next play, the Tigers’ tipped Powell’s pass, but Jalen Hendricks was on the receiving end for the reception and an open field for a 25 yard touchdown. Hemphill’s two-point conversion was no good. The Blue Bears increased the lead to 16-10.

With less than two minutes to play the Tigers gained field goal ranged and made 35 yard field goal, 16-13, to end the half.

The third quarter was definitely defensive oriented with both teams scoreless. The Tigers made their way down the field and what they thought was going to be an easy reception for a touchdown resulted in an interception from Andrew Fox in the end zone.

The Tigers held the Blue Bears pretty tight and forced Hemphill to have to punt the ball. The Blue Bears playing very determined added tight pressure to the Tigers’ offense. White forced and recovered a fumble. The Blue Bears couldn’t convert and was forced to punt again. The Tigers ended the third quarter on the Livingstone’s two yard line.

The Tigers open up the fourth quarter with a touchdown to take their first lead of the game 20-16. Building off of their lead, the Tigers sacked Powell twice and forces him to throw an interception. The Tigers run the interception down for a touchdown, but it was called back because of holding.

Playing from behind, the Blue Bears offense picked up the pace. In 10 plays and 60 yards, Powell ran the ball in from the two yard line for the touchdown and the lead. Manzo’s PAT was good, 23-20.

With less than four minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, the Blue Bears had a roughing the passer and passing interference called against them. Edward Waters answered with a first down and the ball within the 20 yard line. Hildon Bush nearly intercepted the ball while Tyheim Pitt was on the pass breakup, causing Edward Waters to attempt a 36 yard field goal. Livingstone called three timeouts back-to-back. The kick is blocked by Henry Horne and picked up by Justin Edwards; the Blue Bears began their drive at their own 42 yard line.

The Blue Bears took a knee with less than one minute to play. On the fourth down the punt team came in. Before the play however, a delay of game play was called. The Tigers began their drive on their 19 yard line and threw a 48 yard reception. With one second left on the clock, the Tigers setup for a field goal, but intentional grounding is called. The Blue Bears take the victory, 23-20.

Livingstone improves their record to 1-2.

The Blue Bears will return to action on September 28 as they travel to Lincoln, PA to take on the Lincoln University Lions.

Subscribe to the new Livingstone College e-Newsletter today

Subscribe Today