Requirements | Application
Students who meet the following criteria may apply to Upward Bound:
- Attend (or plan to attend) one of the target high schools in Salisbury-Rowan County (Salisbury, North Rowan, Or Henderson Independent High)
- Meet federal guidelines based on income and/or educational background of parents
- Have a need for academic/cultural support
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
Selection criteria for participation in the Upward Bound program is based on a critical review of the student application and supporting documents by the Upward Bound director and staff.
The application process includes:
- Review of student application and essay
- Assessment of teacher and counselor recommendations and comments
- Analysis of high school and junior high school transcripts and standardized test data
- Interview with both the student and a parent or guardian
The Upward Bound program at the Livingstone College is one of the Carolina Higher Education Opportunity Programs and is a federally funded educational program which provides FREE services to high school students in their preparation for post-secondary education. Students may apply to the program as early as 8th grade. Required minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) is 2.0.
The following instructions must be followed in order to complete the application process:
- Complete the entire application by supplying all required information as outlined.
- Complete the Family Income section and submit a copy of 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ Income Tax Return for parent(s)/legal guardian(s) for the previous year.
- Include a typed, one-page personal statement about your interests, ambitions, and goals after high school.
- Sign the Release of Information Authorization
- Sign the Parent/Guardian Certification indicating that your application is complete and accurate
- Submit one (1) Counselor Recommendation Form from a guidance counselor including a recent report card, transcript, and copy of test scores
- Submit one (1) Teacher Recommendation Form
- Return the completed application to: Upward Bound, Livingstone College 701 West Monroe St. Salisbury NC 28144
Once your application is received, you will be notified by mail of your application status. If you have any questions, please contact our office at 704-216-6193.
PRIVACY ACT STATEMENT:
The personal information that you give to the Upward Bound Program is sent to the federal government (Department of Education). The information is protected by the Privacy Act. No one may see the information unless they work with or for the Upward Bound Program or are specifically authorized to see the information. The information is necessary to determine if you are eligible to participate in the program and helps the government to measure your success. The Department of Education has the authority to gather information the help make Upward Bound a better program (20 USC 1231a).